Pet owners have warned of common garden plants and flowers that are toxic to dogs

As summer approaches, our gardening efforts begin to pay off and some of our plants and flowers grow and fill our space with color.

However, there are some very common plants that can make your dog extremely sick if he eats them.

These include bluebells, ivy and daffodil bulbs.

Read more:Five dogs to adopt in Ireland who need their forever homes in 2022

In addition to garden plants, indoor plants and flower bouquets can also pose a hazard. Here’s everything you need to know to protect your dog from eating poisonous plants.

A list of common poisonous plants

  • Aconite
  • Amaryllis bulbs
  • asparagus fern
  • Azalea
  • bellflowers
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil bulbs
  • Daylilies
  • Delphiniums
  • Mercury of the dog (Mercurialis perennis)
  • Foxgloves
  • Hemlock
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Ivy
  • Laburnum
  • Lily of the valley
  • lupins
  • morning glory
  • black nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Rhododendron
  • Rhubarb leaves
  • Sweet Pea
  • tulip bulbs
  • umbrella plant
  • wisteria
  • Yew


Some very common plants can make your dog extremely sick if he eats them.

There are rarer plants that also pose a danger to your dog, you can find the full list here.

What to do if you think your dog is poisoned

If you think your dog has eaten, touched, or inhaled something he shouldn’t have, speak to your veterinarian immediately.

In order to prevent your dog from consuming these poisonous plants, it is best to keep them away from your home and garden.

Signs of eating a poisonous plant

Dogs that have consumed a poisonous plant will show signs such as nervousness, muscle tremors, excessive sweating, convulsions, weakness, respiratory complications, rapid heartbeat, stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhea and coma.

Different plants show different signs of disease. For example, consuming a mushroom will cause vomiting or bloody diarrhea, while cherries will cause breathing problems or seizures.

Read more:How to help dogs avoid sunburn as it can lead to dangerous conditions such as cancer

Read more:Everything you need to know about pet passports if you want to take your dog abroad this summer